Neighborhoods in shape for Summer 2021 campaign invited everyone to make their neighborhood a more pleasant place to live. Wе encouraged people to collect trash, share photos and raffled prizes among collectors! Environmental advisor Lotta Salminen from Lounais-Suomen Jätehuolto also shares the best tips for collecting trash and tells about recycling in the neighborhoods. We organized the campaign in cooperation with Lounais-Suomen Jätehuolto Oy and Bioska.
The snow has melted, and what can we see? Rubbish! The warm spring sun reveals all sorts of garbage in the woods, streets, and yards of our neighborhoods. The latest craze among the trash is a notable newcomer: a disposable mask. Even on social media people are having heated discussions about rubbish and dog poop.
We, the creators of Know Your Hoods, couldn't just watch from the sidelines. Can something be done to the amount of trash on the ground? How can we keep our unique neighborhoods clean and pleasant to live in? Maybe we can do something together? Together with Lounais-Suomen Jätehuolto (LSJH) and Bioska, we decided to call residents to action. Is your neighborhood in shape for the summer?
Neighborhoods in shape for Summer 2021
The Neighborhoods in shape for Summer 2021 campaign invites each of us to take care of our own neighborhood during the period of May 17-31, 2021. The goal is to clean the neighborhood, for example by collecting rubbish, raking, or otherwise tidying up the environment. To take part in the challenge, you can start by just removing one piece of rubbish with you or collecting a garbage bag full. We also recommend trying plogging, i.e. jogging, during which garbage is collected.
How to participate
Tidy up your neighborhood and share the photo evidence at the latest by 30.5.2021 at 23.59 in one of the following ways:
- Post a picture to the Facebook event
- Post a picture to Instagram with a hashtag #naapurustotkesäkuntoon
- Send a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NB! Remember to mention, what neighborhood were you tidying up. :)
By sending a photo you automatically participate in the draw of the following prizes:
- A yearly supply of Bioska -biowaste bags
- 25 euro giftcard to fiksuruoka.fi -service
- A sorting bag, that is made out of event banners
What to take into account while collecting garbage?
You will need:
- Good gloves, that protect your hands from sharp pieces of trash.
- Trash-picker as an alternative.
- A couple of garbage bags.
- Clothing appropriate to the weather.
- Open mind! Collecting garbage is an awesome and rewarding activity.
Unfortunately, the full blog post is currently only in Finnish. If you can read our beautiful language or want to use Google Translate, you can read the Finnish blog post here.
P.S. You can get familiar with the residential areas of the Turku region in advance with the help of our free search engine!